The former Office Depot on Blackstone Avenue is undergoing major renovations as a local business prepares to move in: a furniture store.
Quality Furniture is planning to open a second Fresno location in the large store, just south of Bullard Avenue. The retailer also has stores in Visalia and Bakersfield.
The Fresno Office Depot, along with ones in Clovis and Madera, closed last year.
The large building has been hollowed out, with sun shining down to the floor on a recent weekday as the ceiling and roof were replaced. Other major renovations are underway, said Kathy Rahim, a Quality Furniture manager in Fresno.
“From start to finish, they’re replacing everything — a lot of work to be done before we can even move forward,” she said.
The store could be open in six months, she said.
“It’s a big space that’s going to have some nice luxury furniture,” Rahim added.
Quality Furniture took over the Martin’s Flowers store on Blackstone and Gettysburg avenues after the artificial floral store closed in 2016 after 75 years.
It will keep that store open, Rahim said. The new store will sell more high-end furniture, she said.
It’s the last of the three closed Office Depot stores to find new tenants.
In Clovis, department store Burlington is open in the spot. In Madera, a Boot Barn has taken over.
- Downtown Oshkosh's iconic Exclusive Co. building to become a furniture store this fall
- After many twists over 25 years, a furniture store owner in the west metro decides to close
- Antique furniture is new again: Stylish, green and available | Home & Garden
- Family-Owned Furniture Store Gives Customers a Chance to Golf With SYNLawn Putting Green
- Crowds returned to Milan Furniture Fair after 2-year hiatus