Our grandfather, Salvador “Sam” Perino, established Perino’s Nursery in 1949, after proudly serving as a Naval Aviator in WWII.
After the war, Sam and his loving wife Magdalene Perino started a 24-hour grocery and produce market in New Orleans on the corner of Carrollton and Claiborne. The market sold cut flowers for special occasions and served sliced watermelon during the summer months. He eventually introduced camellias and azaleas into the mix, which led to the launch of Perino’s Nursery. In 1955, Sam took a leap of faith and moved his business to Veterans Memorial Blvd, which at the time was just a dirt road.
Perino’s became a multi-generational business when his two sons (Buddy and Peter Perino) joined the business in the late 1970’s. Buddy and Peter helped expand Perino’s Garden Center into a full retail, growing, and landscape operation with a focus on cultivating quality local plants. In 2004,